Set up in the year 1930, the Merrill Airport is positioned at a distance of a mile to the east of downtown Anchorage. Spread over a massive area of 436 acres, Merrill Airport, Alaska was the first in Anchorage, which is the largest city in Alaska. Merrill Airport has been coded as PAMR by International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), while the International Air Transport Association (IATA) has assigned the code of MRI to it.
The airport is named and dedicated to Russel Hyde Merrill on 25th September, 1932. The incident was preceded by the sudden disappearance of Russ Merrill, Alaskan aviation pioneer on a flight to Bethel.
The airport at Merrill Field is meant for Commercial Service. The airport seeks to:
- Meets the requirements of the aviation community at large
- Encourage private business
- Promote economic development
- Maintaining a feasible financial status
- Serve Alaska and also USA in general
The key features of the Merrill Airport, Alaska can be listed as follows:
Besides, the 966 on-field aircrafts of Merrill Field Airport consists of the following:
- The airport is open for civilians
- The runway of the airport is paved and measures 4000 feet in length
- Merrill Airport does not provide any customs service
- There is an officially published instrument approach (known as Instrument Flight Rules or IFR) procedure for the airport, which suggests that Merrill Airport makes all the necessary arrangements for flights to take-off from or land at Merrill Airport during bad weather of inadequate light
In addition to this an array of services and facilities are available from Merrill Airport in Alaska, USA which include:
- 904 single engine airplanes
- 45 multi-engine airplanes
- 16 Helicopters
- 1 Glider airplane
- Facilities for the Disabled
- Information Desk
- Peggy's Restaurant
- Reserved Car Park
- Telephone and Internet Facilities
The city of Anchorage offers abundant natural sights that mesmerize tourists of all parts of the world. The metropolitan area of the city is bound by the rivers Knik Arm and Turnagain Arm while the place has to offers other scenes in other directions as well. Anchorage is also well served with hospitals, media and television centers, and an influential press.
Flights hotels tours, a world travel guide provides detailed, online information on Merrill Airport, as well as on Flights to Anchorage and Flights to Alaska.