Connect with us

Thailand Population

Thailand is a diverse country with ethnic population and various other demographic features. The country is well known for its multi culture society that speaks different languages and follows various traditions. Thailand population makes it the 20th largest country with around 66 million calling the country home.

About Thailand population


Thailand covers a land area of around 513,000 km square and is ranked 50th in the world. Of the 66 million populations, at least 85 per cent are ethnic groups speaking the Thai language followed by the Chinese people comprising 14 per cent of the total population. About 99 per cent of the Thai population in Thailand practice Buddhism. The Lao-Thai population is 34 percent and south Thai least with 13 per cent. This shows that the population is centered in the central Thai regions with Bangkok being the most populous one. Other Thai groups are based in Phuket, Lampang, and Chiang Mai city. Thai language is the administrative or official language that is taught in the schools as well.

The other minority groups living in Thailand include Malay people, Mons, Khmers, and the tribes settled in the hills. There is also a major crowd of immigrants and workers from other countries. Their count is estimated to be around 2.2 million.

Chinese people work in the education sector, administrative offices, and trade in the nation. There are Chinese markets where goods of China are widely sold. The Chinese New Year is an important celebration of the community settled there.

Facts about Thailand population


  • Birth rate:13.38 births per 1,000 population
  • Death rate: 7.12 deaths per 1,000 population
  • Urban population: 33% of total population of Thailand
  • Infant mortality rate: 17.48 deaths per 1,000 live births
  • Growth rate of population-0.626 per cent



    World Travel Guide offers online information on Thailand Population.